Manager of Health & Safety
Somerville, NJ, US
Hamon Custodis is a leading member of the Hamon engineering and construction group active in the field of environment and energy, headquartered in Somerville, NJ. Serving international contractors, power suppliers and energy-intensive industries with innovative solutions, Hamon Custodis provides superior utility and industrial chimneys and chimney services. These mega-projects involve designing and building large concrete and steel structures in excess of 700 feet in height located throughout North America.
We are currently seeking a highly motivated and accomplished Manager of Health & Safety for our US operations based in our home office in NJ. The successful candidate will oversee and manage all facets of our health and safety programs including regulatory compliance. The position reports directly to the company president.
- Manage a small staff of site safety officers
- Train employees on company and client safety policies and procedures
- Verify compliance with health and safety regulations and ensure all training is current and records are maintained.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state and local legislation governing health and safety
- Respond and provide support to any emergency situations
- Develop and implement accident investigation protocols and perform accident investigations as required
- Review current procedures and amend as required to keep company compliant with changing regulations
- Develop accident prevention plans and procedures
- Manage any OSHA inspections providing inspectors with requisite information
- Coordinate the company's annual safety meeting
- Regularly perform site safety inspection providing corrective action for deficiencies cited
- Work with company's sales group to review and comment on potential client's safety requirements
- Track and report safety data such as hours worked, lost time days, first aid cases, etc.
- Develop safety incentive programs for field employees
- Guide, coach and assist management to develop a "zero accident" safety culture
- Coordinate the processing of any workers compensation cases, legal issues, accident claims
- Interface with insurance brokers and in-house legal staff as required on miscellaneous health and safety matters
- Bachelor's degree in a scientific discipline related to health and safety
- Minimum of 5 years experience working in a construction environment in a health and safety capacity
- Proven track record of improving safety in a construction environment
- Ability to interface, manage and motivate a diverse workforce to achieve corporate safety objectives
- Self starter that works well with minimal supervision
- Willing and able to travel to project sites located in the U.S. on short notice (approximately 50%)
- Able to multi-task and adapt to changing priorities in a fast paced environment
- Effective communicator with the ability to make presentations to clients as well as field personnel
- Astute understanding of OSHA and other government safety regulations
- Computer proficiency required